Monday, May 16, 2011

Perfect Summer Salad


It is that time of year where everyone's garden's are starting to bust out the fresh seasonal vegetables that help make those summer time salads super fresh and extra crisp. And as much as I would like to admit that I do indeed own one of those Garden's I cannot tell a lie.... I missed the inherited Green Thumb that both my Mom and Dad possess. Not for lack of trying however. Yet when one manages to kill even the inside plants it is probably best not to attempt an outside garden project.

Luckily I have neighbors who take pity on me and always happy to unload extra produce on my door step. To my left is my Basil hook up, to my right and down the corner is my tomato hook up. And when all else fails I do have great luck at the following:
 

This is super easy to build and makes for a crunchy mixture of reds greens and the garlic which It can be light or heavy (we prefer somewhere in between so I use two cloves) the flavors go well together, I make this for me and my hubby several times a week in the summer
 
Recipe:

1 Ripe Garden Tomato.
1 Ripe Avocado.
1 small cucumber.
Fresh basil Leaves.
Mozzarella Cheese (shredded works okay but if you can buy the block cheese or the Mozzarellas "pearls."
Two cloves of Garlic.
Edamame beans (shelled and rinsed).
Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar to taste.
Fresh cracked Pepper to taste.
Dash of salt.

Peel and core Avocado. Dice and cut with the tomatoes and Cucumber into bite sized pieces add to bowl.
Wash and rinse basil leaves and tear into pieces toss in along with edamame, garlic (minced through garlic press or finely chopped) and cut up chunks of Mozzarella cheese. 
Season with olive oil and vinegar, add salt and cracked pepper to taste. Toss until everything is coated
lightly. Add more S&P if preferred and or more Oil and Vinegar.
Chill for 20-30 minutes before serving.

 



Feel free to get creative and add can add the following:

Mushrooms.
Black Olives.
Green Onion.
Cooked Corn.
Hardboiled egg (whites only).
Sunflower Seeds or Pine Nuts.


Also.... 
Not a fan of Edamame??  Try chick peas or rinsed white beans.
Not crazy about Basil?  Try fresh Spinach or Arugula.
Feta or Sharp Cheddar in place of the Mozzarella works well too.

Enjoy and feel free to leave me a comment if you try this at home. 
I would love to hear from you.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment