Friday, December 10, 2010

A Unique place for Christmas Shopping.


Happy Friday Chatter family.  I had the great pleasure to visit Hattie’s Antiques in York, SC yesterday.  Since I haven't set foot inside an antique shop since the days my sister and I used to stay with my Grandmother as kids, I wasn't quite sure what to expect.  However, upon entering the store my expectations were not only surpassingly exceeded, but I found myself taking a walk down many aisles of "memory lane".

What makes Hattie’s unique is the owner Dough Leatherman, who along with his wife Judi, have own and operated Hattie’s for six years now.  A retired truck driver, Doug found a niche with hand crafting furniture, and creating something new out of something old.  His store has many of his own creations as well as a handful of other vendors who rent space from him.
The store is much bigger than it looks and as I wandered around I saw everything from old fisher price toys to china sets, old post cards, jewelry, lamps, storage chest and so much more.  For awhile I found myself back in my childhood as I took in some of the items around me. 



I now have a better understanding of why people love to go antique shopping.  It isn't just for the treasures you can find, but also for the stories and memories it can unleash in all of us.
Doug's expertise was just as impressive.  While I was there a customer asked him about a wooden hand cranked ice cream maker.  I didn't even know there was such a thing but Doug knew exactly what he meant and the best place he could find one.  I enjoyed listening to him and how he discovered the world of antiquing.  “The fun is the hunt.” He explained with a little gleam in his eye.  I could tell immediately that he cares very much about this business where there are no frills, no fancy marketing ploys.  Just good ole fashion antiques that can satisfy collectors, devoted traditional shoppers and even a Mom like me. 


So if you are looking for something special on your Christmas list or just want to go visit a really distinctive store I recommend you check out Hattie’s.  They are easy to find, and are running a fantastic Christmas sale with discounts starting at 25% off. 

Hatties Antiques.
1250 Chester Highway York, SC
29745
803-684-5553

If you or someone you know is interested in renting space from Doug or if you are looking to sell some of your colleticables you can contact Doug at
dleatherman@carolina.rr.com or by phone 803-448-8674

They are open Thursday: 10:00-6:00 p.m
Friday & Saturday: 10:00-5:00 p.m.

Happy Hunting!!




No comments:

Post a Comment